Ten Tips for Fort DeSoto Park Camping
A the mouth of the Tampa Bay you’ll find one of the best campsites in Florida. Fort DeSoto is a park and campground operated by Pinellas County Florida.
Few things to keep in mind:
- 1. The RV’s compact the sand – be mindful not to setup your tent on the typical tire grooves of an RV; when it rains these turn into large ponds.
- 2. Your camping reservation gets you into beach area of the park for free so you save $5 a day.
- 3. Pack spare change in the car to pay the toll booths in Tierra Verde – it’s better to go through the exact change line
- 4. The North Beach of the park is incredible!
- 5. Check the Red Tide status – best not to go when Red Tide is at its peak.
- 6. Plan on finding lots of great sea shells.
- 7. Your on the West Coast of Florida so you’ll see nice sunrises as the sun comes up over Tampa, and incredible sun sets as the sun drops over the Gulf of Mexico.
- 8. Sites are hard to come by but can be booked online just be sure to plan ahead. New sites are released every Friday.
- 9. There is a camp store in the camp ground, concessions at the beach, and convenience stores in Tierra Verde.
- There are lots of places to take the dog and have fun.